14 has been one of my most incredible years. Countless lessons, opportunities and growth at a rate associated with our teenage years; those mornings awakening to extra height, hips or hair! I’ve achieved all three courtesy of new shows, weight loss (there you are hips!) and hair extensions…nobody said it had to be real hair!
2013 was a helluva year, crumbs I was challenged. I seemed to consistently work on jobs with folks who I wasn’t meshing with; I was bullied, undermined and disempowered. Well let’s be clear, I had a hand in this as I allowed it to happen, I became so exhausted from the consistent onslaught I was emotionally drained and hit my rock bottom. Jagged, cold and at times oddly welcoming I surrendered and for the first time in my life, said ‘guess what? I’m putting me first.’ It felt strange, good and stranger again.
It was unfathomable to me for a particular three-month stint I was being consistently hit by the shitty stick. What did I learn? If your bloody instinct tells you at the start of the job don’t work with these chumps – DO NOT WORK WITH THOSE CHUMPS. Unless people are willing and ready to change, you will not be the person to shift decades of ingrained negative behaviors. There are reasons why people develop in this way; it’s the way they have learned to survive. Snuffing out someone’s light is warm up for these folks. Second lesson, it is fine to say feck off and walk away, then drink lots of wine with your besties. Three, we’re never going to be every body’s cup of tea and thank heavens say I; find your tribe and get the kettle on, otherwise drop it and move on. During this conundrum quarter I kept being me and I dropped a mother load of F bombs, the feck off and the forgiveness variety. I discovered rather a lot about myself, I realized how much behavior I needed to bin and so I did. If there were another way to have undergone the delayering would I have taken it? Abso-fecking-lutely! The world does enjoy a game of adult cat and mouse and so we grow.
This year has been epic, I’m truly blessed I’ve tried countless new things, bit the bullet (not an actual bullet, however being a magicians assistant is still on my list so you never know…) and just given things a ruddy good go. My electric fence is…well I don’t know where it is to be honest…she be gone.
I’m going to commit the ultimate writing sin and jot down a list of lots of lovely things from 2014…
- Celebrated three years of marriage
- Reduced my overall weight by 3 stone – yip you read right
- Lived between London, Paris and Dubai postcodes
There seems to be a theme of three going on here…
- Got rid of my vertigo – thank you Dubai
- Evolved the phrase ‘Champagne problems’ with one particularly stunning Dubai addition to my life, you know who you are easel eyes
- Studied at Le Cordon Bleu and La Cuisine Paris
- Improved my spoken French (It’s an ongoing journey), nailed my Parisian body language, you think you can tell the difference between a pout, shrug, lip bite, leg cross and blink…guess again my friends.
- Travelled, Travelled, Travelled…
- Made friendships quickly and for life, Chen you made my heart bigger, there are also some international kittens who live in there with you
- Met some of my heroine’s – Gabby Bernstein, Marianne Williamson and Sarah Jessica Parker…ah hello blue eyes
- Purchased my first SJP and Manolo Blahnik shoes….lush!
- Reached into my yoga practice on the mat, in the studio and over skype
- Consciously uncoupled from my and others behaviors which no longer serve me
- Drafted my first manuscript, this current edit is a tussle of wills
- Cuddled many a new life, brought into the world safely to wonderful parents I’m blessed to count as friends and family
- Worked increasingly creatively
- Developed a programme or two to help folks
- Attended and immersed myself in the long days of Unleash the Power Within and Business Mastery
- Enjoyed some of the most exhilarating theatre, art and design
- Gosh I’ve laughed, I mean REALLY laughed
- I’ve had one too many glasses of red, white and champagne
- Slept less than is technically healthy…
- Found my strength again
I’ve lived and loved harder than even I thought possible. Sure there have been down times, there have been worries, moments which have taken my breath away for terrifying reasons not great ones. I’ve pissed people off; sorry about that, I’ve apologized for my shit, really I’m on a learning curve; I’ve taken my own advice, something folks are coming to me for more and more often, just as well seeing as I’m building a business based on my capacity to help folks. I’ve tilted my head and wondered ‘What the feck is going on in that head of yours?’ Then just not worried about it anymore.
I’ve said yes to lots of cool stuff and no to other cool and mundane things I don’t want to do anymore. There is more than can be written for this allegedly quick wrap up of 2014. In short this year and all of you in it have been out-fecking-standing. I love you all and I am ready for my best year yet in 2015, bring it on you spicy delicious gown of growth, I’m ready and even if I’m not, my heart is open even if there are moments when I squeeze my eyes firmly shut.
Be the best you can be and in the words of an unknown genius, haters gonna hate and potatoes gonna potate.